Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Waiting

I got up at the ungodly hour of 7am today so I could shower and be ready to wait for the TV repairman, who was to arrive at our home between the hours of 8am and 5pm. The Sears TV guy, Mark, actually woke me up. "I'm not sure where you live. I have down here Athens, KY." Hmmm...I'm still waiting. I hope he finds out house before I have to leave for work.

In the mean time, the American Electric Power guys are cutting trees down and chipping them into dust in our neighbors' yard. These beautiful, 20 year-old pines provided a lot of blockage between our lot and the road. I miss them already. In my mind, I march over to the AEP guys and have an imaginary argument with them. I ask them who they think they are, and why they can't just trim the trees. I ask them what they're going to do with all the wood, and why they have to cut it up, when they're clearly cutting down lots of pines and poplars the same size to make electric poles. Then, in my head, they look at me with sad, tired eyes and apologize. They tell me the don't hate trees, but they need the money. They tell me they use all the materials for things like mulch, and they apologize more. They tell me this is the best job they could find, and I know it to be true and feel like an ass for being the 50th person to bitch at them this week without even saying hello, and in my head, I feel badly about the interaction. So, I keep it in my head.

2 comments:

j.doc said...

you know what i love? being woken up to the sound of a wood chipper outside my window. mmmm. who doesn't love the sound of deforestation in the morning?

Andrea said...

Um, I guess, you? You don't love it?