Saturday, November 3, 2007

They COULD amputate...

My inlaws are in town. This is a good thing. I like my inlaws. They are kind. They are concerned with our lives but don't butt in or give unsolicited advice. They're never snotty or judgemental, and they're really generous. Right now, they're downstairs with Ben watching "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy," a movie that I only sort of like and definitly can't stay awake through. So, I update.

Any way, because my inlaws are in town, we had my brother Charlie and his wife and kids down. The kids are ages 6, 5, and 3, so it was a little nuts in our not so child proof house. Abby, the 5 year-old is autistic, and therefore doesn't have the best concept of empathy or understanding of small creatures as delicate, living things. Our 2 gerbils only weigh ounces and have very tiny teeth that don't even hurt when they bite and therefore are rather defenseless against creatures as large as 5 year-olds. So, no one was that surprised when Abby loaded one into their plastic gerbil ball and threw her accross the room. Well, I guess the gerbil was probably surprized. Poor, dumb animal. Poor, dumb, helpless, limping animal. I think she'll be fine, she's just favoring her right, rear paw. When I pointed this out to my husband, he immediately googled "broken+paw+gerbil," and said, "As long as it's eating food and the wound isn't open, it should heal and be OK. If it gets infected, you can take it to the vet and they can amputate."
"Amputate? What would that look like?"
"They can make it on 3 legs."
"I know they can make it on 3 legs, but what on earth would they do to amputate? Oh well. We'll cross that bridge when we get there."
Hmmm...I like my pets. Maybe I even love my pets, but, not to be cold hearted...they only cost $5. I'm not sure trips to the vet are in our gerbils' future.

In unrelated news, my mom is in Haiti for the 3rd time. She's there with a surgical team doing outpatient procedures. She arrived 2 days ago and have already done 2 or 3 cases, and have many more coming up next week.
Way to go mom.

No comments: