Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Voting

I'm not voting today.  I don't know who to vote for and I'm exceptionally discouraged by political talk that doesn't ever add up to anything.  I couldn't work out in my conscience how I should decide which candidate's fake promises to endorse.  I feel like voting is a big deal, especially if you live in Ohio.  I don't take it lightly and I'm not blowing it off.  I'm deliberately abstaining from practicing my right to vote today, just like I'm deliberately abstaining from my right to bear arms.  I think it would be dangerous to do so, and I'm not willing to pick up ballot or a gun in the hopes of producing change today.  I'm not sure if or when my feelings on the matter will change.

I am glad so many people are voting today.  I'm glad people are feeling good about it and, in this most economically depressed part of the state, taking action that they believe will lead to a better life.  Good for them.  

Feel free to descend upon me with anger and fits of rage--I can hack it.

1 comment:

paul said...

Interesting post. Yea, Jesus never said that the government is the hope of the world, but the church. More and more I long to see the church be just that. Thanks for the article link as well.

BTW, I voted. I took my best, most prayerful stab at it. But I understand.