Saturday, December 15, 2007

What's in a name?

Last night, my friend Heidi invited Ben and I over to her house to hang out with 4 Chinese students. Their names (phonetically) are Shwen-shwen, Shwen-shwen, Tsai, and Ginny. Shwen-shwen and Shwen-shwen were discussing what their names meant, as they are from different regions of China. One Shwen-shwen meant "beautiful girl" and the other meant something like "lovely pond."

I knew, from taking ancient greek in college that Andrea comes from the root greek word andros, or "man." So, my name means "manly" in Italian or any other romance language. Lynn means "from the lake." And I'm assuming that my new last name, Horsch likely means "horse," as english is a germanic language and these cognates are frequently correct. In short, my name is Mandrea Sea-Horsch.

So, I explained, "my name is Andrea. It's Italian for 'manly.' Americans don't think much about what names mean. My husband is Benjamin, which means, 'son of my right hand.'" They all laughed and we played some games. An hour goes by.

Later, Shwen-shwen asked me, "So, do you think you grew up according to the meaning of your name?" I shrug my shoulders, about to half agree, but am interrupted by the other Chinese girls agreeing vigorously. Wow. They really, really think I'm manly.

It was a little bit of a downer.

6 comments:

paul said...

I have always found the use of names in other languages fascinating (especially in the OT), but I find our total lack of interest in the meaning of names even more fascinating! I include myself... as we named our daughter "seller of purple" (or after a country!). We just loved the name.

I love the story in 1 Sam 4 when the Ark is captured and the mom names her child "Ichabod" (the glory has departed). All lost hopes, dreams, aspirations... pinned onto a name. Now, we name our kids after soap opera stars.

Great post... and even if it was a downer at the time... it was funny and refreshing to read. :)

Andrea said...

Paul,
I suffer for your entertainment.
I'm actually the only person in my whole family--cousins included who is not name after anyone--Andrea just sounded pretty, so mom & dad went with it.

mdog said...

hi.

mandrea sea-horsch. i most definitely laughed aloud.

j.doc said...

sea horsch.


i think that should be your next canvas.

please, oh please?

mandrea? optional.

Ancarrow the blog said...

holy crap, I miss you and Doc. Kiss the good doctor for me...we need to catch up somehow.

paul said...

"I suffer for your entertainment."

I don't have a problem with that. :O)