Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Bad day, eh?

I felt crappy when I got up yesterday, so I called in sick, as I had felt crappy all weekend and needed an extra day of rest. Turned out to be a pretty good day. I took naps. I took pseudophed. I watched TV. I washed clothes and dishes. Good day.

Today started off way better--I felt better when I woke up, and gladly went to work, where my coworkers are dropping like flies. Anne was clearly sicker than me, but because she has a sense of obligation, came to work anyway, and by afternoon, another one of our coworkers had gone home sick. Before I left work, the lady who's kid spread her cold germs to everyone in the house asked me why everyone was edgy. I not too graciously explained that it's hard not to be when everyone has the cold that her kid passed around. (This was far from my proudest moment and I think I owe her an apology.)

Got home, at tacos, hugged Ben. The day is getting better.

Went out with friends to see the movie: Constantine's Sword. This film was excellent. I highly recommend it for 1. any Christian who feels remorseful about the history of the violence of the church, 2. any Christian who is down with just war, or 3. any non-Christian who is pissed about killing in the name of God. It was just great. I would be happy to offer all of my thoughts, but they're mostly super sad, and I have more to report on.

We were recovering from the terrible sins of the Church we love by eating eating ice cream at Coldstone when my dear, good, alcoholic friend called me drunk, asking for a ride home. I'm more than happy to let many people suffer consequences for their actions, but we were moved to give my friend a ride, so we did. I can't express how sad it is to see friends at their worst and most pathetic.

So we dropped off my friend, came home, told sick, tired Anne that she should sleep on our couch, and thought about settling in for the night, when I found a wet spot on our carpet. No leak from above...and it's really, really wet...I tried sopping it up with a towel, but the wetness was coming up from the poured slab floor, though the padding and carpet. Crap. The sump pump. Yesterday, I discovered that the sump pump had not been running, maybe all day, and had, in fact, filled to brim and begun overflowing just slightly into Jenny's office/guest room. The plug had been loose, and when I plugged it back in, it seemed to work normally. Today, I reached my hand in to see if the little floaty switch was working, and got shocked. Not super badly, but my hand was tingly for a while. The switch was not working right. I finally got it to switch on and drain the well, but it doesn't switch off any more, which means that it could easily overheat, kick off, and leave the downstairs to get even more soggy.


In short, we need to replace our sump pump in the morning if we don't want our downstairs carpet to get all ruined. Also? I think I might be staying up most of the night to plug in the sump pump and run it from time to time. I'm really, really, really hoping that the steady stream will slow to a drip and I will be able to just sleep and sleep and sleep. Yes. Sleep.

And then a brand new day which would surely be better, right?

No comments: