Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Back Home




Yup. I decided that although Hawaii is beautiful and contains family, fresh fish, and is surrounded by the sea, I want to keep living in Athens. My friends are here. My church is here. My life is here. This might sound crazy, but I missed work while I was away. More specifically, I missed the people that I meet at work. I missed the character. Vacations are insulating. They're an escape from reality. I don't think I like that. I like reality. I like real people. I want them in my life, and I don't think I like the idea of escaping from this poor place on purpose. So, I want to move my job and all of my poor friends to Hawaii. I am open to suggestions for how to make this work.

I also decided that this place--Secret Beach--is the most beautiful place I've ever been.

I took this week off of work, too. I am 2 days into this second vacation and I know already that it will not be long enough. I have a long list of things to paint and write. So far, I can only cross off one thing--an underwater fish painting for my 12 year-old nephew. We haven't unpacked our camera yet, or I would be posting a photo. Sorry. Anyway, it's not especially good, but it is especially fun, which I think is what 12 year-olds care about.

Tomorrow I'm spending a lot of my day in the prayer cabin at Good Works. I like the cabin. I think I'll need to build a fire. It's only supposed to be 54.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will gladly move to Hawaii with you guys...if that helps at all. It sounds like you and Doc had a great vacation. I'm getting ready to head out on an extended work "vacation" to New Orleans for my next movie. It's a Jim Carrey picture called I LOVE YOU PHILIP MORRIS. Should be fun.

My life otherwise is a mess at the moment...keep me in your prayers.

I miss you guys...I'll give you a ring sometime soon.

J