Monday, April 27, 2009

Beas and ant bait

When I told Ben that Bea Arthur had died, he immediately gave a most concerned look to the gerbil cage and back at me, anticipating a melt-down from his wife at the death of her pet. He was visibly relieved when I told him that, in fact, Bea Arthur the PERSON had died, not Bea Arthur the GERBIL.

For the record, my favorite episode of the Golden Girls is the one where Dorothy auditions for Jeopardy and totally excels at guessing the clues, but is not invited to appear on TV because she's cocky and the Jeopardy people don't believe anyone would root for her.

I don't know if guys realize it or not, but every group of women my age, at some point in high school, college, and/or their first few jobs, have assigned themselves and their friends Golden Girl characters. I think it probably goes without saying that I was always and unanimously elected Dorothy for the group...leading in part to my great affection for the woman and the legend, Bea Arthur. RIP Bea.

On an unrelated note, I think I got a little bit of ant poison in my mouth while I was unpacking groceries tonight. My stomach hurts, but I think I'll make it.

No comments: