Sunday, October 5, 2008

Eye Sore

Um...literally.

It hurt like crazy when I took my left contact out last Thursday. As the night wore on, it hurt more and more. My eye was irritated and pink, and felt scratchy. So I rinsed it with saline. And rinsed it. And rinsed it. It didn't do anything, so I looked at my eye closely, shining a flashlight into it and found a little white dent on my iris. I said a white dent on my iris! It's the weirdest thing I've ever had happen to my body. I went to the optometrist the next day, and he said I had a sterile ulcer--as in, my immune system was trying to kill germs on my eye. I guess this happens to some people when they sleep in their contacts. But I know not to sleep in my contacts, so after being reassured that I wasn't going blind, I tried to figure out what the hell happened.

And then I remembered...

The bugs. I usually wear some kind of protective eye wear on bicycle, but I skipped it one day a couple of weeks ago to take a long bike ride at dusk. I couldn't believe how dense the bugs were on the southern part of the bike path. I got so many in my mouth...and my eyes...so many, in fact, that when I woke up the next day, I found one still in my eye.

So I guess the lesson is, try not to kill bugs with your eyes?

Oh, also, our computer crashed the same day I found the dent in my eye ball. This week has been much, much better.

1 comment:

paul said...

"Try not to kill bugs with your eyes."

Deeply profound and moving advice. :)

Great story actually. Never heard of a dented eyeball. And I'm glad you are doing okay.